Saturday, October 18, 2014

Chance meetings

" Yes ma'am, I dont know the road, but you can guide me if you know where this place is"

A bit surprised, I got into the auto. I looked at the driver details plate and there was a picture of an old man. It looked familiar to the face driving in the front, but wasn't the same age. Curious I asked " Is this auto yours?"

In English he responded " No Ma'am this is my fathers auto. I drive it in the evening. There are family problems so I drive it in the morning and father in morning. He has lung problem."

" Do you go to college?" I had to ask this question. I understand India is a poor country and many children work here, but I had to know if he was going to college.I was already thinking how he could enrol himself  to college  and how I could help him out. 

" Yes Madam. I go to Govt college. cant afford private college"

"What do you study?"

" I do my B com Ma'am. I also work elsewhere. near Marathahalli, but I quit"

"How do you manage studies, work, auto? Isn't it difficult?" I kept thinking about how I always give excuses that I am tired, I have so much to do. Here I saw a guy who had no choice but to juggle everything to survive.

" I drive auto every other day. but now I have quit work, will drive auto all evening to earn."

Nayeem dropped me to my destination. I asked him for his number and stored it. 

" Ma'am I also have whatsapp " he said, showing me an update on his phone which said that the software had to be updated for he has a really old version. 

I smiled and left telling him that he needs to download a new version of whatsapp. 

No comments: